A 100-years tradition of service was built on a $12,000 gift from the Roseburg community. That’s the sum the Sisters of Mercy raised to construct Roseburg’s first hospital more than 50 years after the city was founded.
The 25-bed Mercy Hospital was dedicated on Feb. 22, 1909, just four months after construction began. It was built on the banks of the South Umpqua River where Douglas County Health Department now stands.
Mercy has grown into a sophisticated 174-bed medical center as it has upgraded its technology and expanded its services to ensure Douglas County residents access to state-of-the-art healthcare without having to leave town.
Today more than 1,000 employees and 300 volunteers work throughout Mercy. All of them personify the values upon which this institution was built. It is this commitment that has helped Mercy become one of the country’s most highly rated hospitals for patient satisfaction.