On a chilly November 11, 1874, six Sisters of Mercy arrived in Baltimore to take charge of a health dispensary called the Baltimore City Hospital. Located in a former schoolhouse at the corner of Calvert and Saratoga Streets, it was a dingy building whose meager appearance belied its enormous promise. Over a century later, that promise has been fulfilled thanks to The Sisters of Mercy and the many medical and professional staff who provided care to generations of Baltimoreans on the same site where Mercy was founded.
Today, Mercy Medical Center is a thriving hospital recognized nationally for its quality patient care, state-of-the-art facilities and outstanding medical staff. Mercy has been named one of the nation’s Top 100 hospitals, based on quality and performance standards, and was also named one of America’s 10 Best Women’s Centers. Mercy Medical Center is a university affiliated hospital, sponsored by The Sisters of Mercy.